"Never judge a book by it's cover." ~ Strong meaningful words that I didn't truly understand until now.
It was my third day at labor ready and I must say... I think I lied about the company. When I described what I will be doing I made it to believe that I'm just going to put people to work. This is true to a sense. However I'd like to change the job description... What Labor Ready does is, gives people second chances!
I have met some really interesting people. My job doesn't really consist of much paper work so I fill my 8 hours of the day just listening. Everyone has a story, reason, and goal for being a temp employee for labor ready. (If you remember a few blogs back I said we put people who don't have full time jobs to work. Most are homeless, have bad pasts, or are getting off of their addiction) They are trying to get them selves back on their feet, have enough money for a hotel room for a night, or just eat. I've only known these people for 3 days, and so many have already touched my heart and make me look at life a little differently. I would like to share a storie with you about a worker who has touched me.
EMPLOYEE 1- He's in his late 30's, very well spoken and polite. He use to be a manager for Microsoft, until he got into some trouble with drugs and was let go. He sold everything he owns just to pay for a high. He has been employeed with Labor Ready for a couple years. He says if it wasn't for them he might not be alive. The company gave him encouragement and a way to make money, and he's been clean for over a year. He works for Labor Ready 3-4 times a week. On the other days of the week he volunteers for a company that fixs computers and ships the computers over seas for " the less fortunate countrys" and the military men at war." Yesterday we sent him on a 12 hour job and he got paid the same day. Today he comes into Labor Ready and we prepaired him for another day of dutie. As we were about ready to hand him his slip, to our suprise, he asked if there was a way he could get a little cash advance and would pay it back at the end of the day. Now, bescause we knew for a fact he had recieved a check the day before, and with his past we wondered why he was asking for a few dollars. After poping the question he proceded to tell us he needed money to eat because he hadn't eaten since Friday. My heart instantly went out to him and I gave him the change out of the bottom of my purse, which was only 2 dollars. He left for work and came back 8 hours later to get paid. After cutting him a check, he reaced for his wallet. It was VERY old there were no cards, cash, just a few pieces of paper. He pulled out 6 folded up pieces and proceded to unfold them. He picked them up and passes them my way. I looked at the top one and noticed it was a check, our check for the previous day. He asked me if I could add them. As I flipped through I realized they were all checks, ranging from 24-73 dollars. I added them and gave him a grand total of $307.00. "why had he not cashed them, I asked myself." So I asked him why. He told me he "didn't want to cash them because he knew he would spend them and the money was for something special." Again out of curiosity I asked why? "Well you see, I need $350.00. I'm going to best buy in a few days to by a laptop. I'm working on a special progect through (the company he is voluntering for-I don't remember the name) and it requires a better looking laptop and we only have really old ones there. So I decided I was going to buy one so we can fufill the desire of the less fortunate person we're building it for." Here is a man who has nothing! No food, no house, only 3 pieces of clothing, and does hard work almost every day, and he's giving his hard earned money away to a stranger. WOW!!! There are only a few people out there who are really genuine!
There are a few people there who have stories like his, I just need to listen. Working for this company makes me so thankful for what I have! You can never really tell why someone might be a certain why, until you walk a day in their shoes. I look at people and situations in a different way now. If I could give anyone some advice I would say Listen, Give chances, and DON'T judge!
I will be sharing more stories as they come and I hope you will enjoy them and get the same message I did.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, this job description sounds even better... :)
I can well imagine that this will be a life changing career, in more ways that one. Nate's grandpa always had a heart for the homeless and down and out, and often would not only help them out, but really listen to their stories...it often touched his heart. I am glad that you have found a career change and one where you know that you are making a difference.
Hey :) I haven't heard from you lately! Your new job been keeping you busy? How's it going now? Anyway, I miss reading your blogs. TTYL.
Post a Comment